Thread: Day 2
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cd723

Thank you Soberwolf and Hevyn. It certainly does help to talk about this. I've been to hundreds of AA meetings, but have never been for the right reason….and was always drinking either before I got back home or as soon as I got there. The first time I quit was several years ago after a car accident in '08. After a scare in January of this year, I (tried to) quit again. My wife is very supportive and I knew that I needed prolonged abstinence to have a chance at beating this, but I thought that I could get to a point that I could control it. I was proven deadly (no pun intended) wrong over the last 2 weeks. The choice to quit yesterday was mine………hopefully this time it sticks. I've always heard in all those AA meetings that less than 1% of the people that walk through the doors as an alcoholic will completely put the bottle down. They've certainly been right in my case. The fear of these withdrawals, now that I've somewhat educated myself, is absolute mortal fear. In my opinion, the only chance i have is to quit cold turkey as I've (tried to have) done a couple times previously. Yet, it scares the crap out of me knowing this is Day 2 and the worst is yet to come…….and what is described as the most deadly (DT's). Funny thing is, I always thought "DT" should for "De-Tox". LOL.