View Single Post
Old 05-02-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

OT - Ugh (more joys of homeownership)

Doing laundry today, heard weird noise, washer leaked through ceiling into my kitchen. At least it was a relatively small load, but I can't get hold of my carpenter friend to help me move the washer (it's wedged into a small laundry closet and I can't maneuver it out on my own), and I'll probably have to open up the ceiling in the kitchen to dry it out thoroughly. I was debating whether to call a plumber or an appliance repair person, and of course nobody works on the weekend. I need to try to get something done this week because I will be traveling on business most of the following week.

In other lovely news, my lawyer has FINALLY gotten the necessary information to file a lawsuit on my foundation problem. As part of toting up the damages, he suggested I take an appeal of my property tax assessment. I bought this place at the HEIGHT of housing prices (and paid a premium because I liked it so much--custom cabinets and such), and the UNDAMAGED comparable homes are selling for about half of what I paid. I have an appraiser coming out this week for the property tax appeal, and I have a feeling it will be one of those "good news/bad news" situations. “The good news is you’ll be paying a whole lot less property tax! The bad news is, well, in terms of what you could sell your property for, there are some squatters in Camden who might be able to afford it if they pool their drug-habit money.”

I don't know why this house hates me.