Thread: Struggling
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
buk1000

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
What's a self imposed boot camp? You just joined one nearby?
The morning after my 3rd DUI (and 2nd in 30 days), I decided to quit drinking at all costs. I had made several attempts, but always caved whether it was after a week or several months. And I realized I was using half measures.

I had moved into the country 10 days before I quit drinking, never intending to get another DUI. I lost my license for 14 months and sold my car. That meant walking 2 miles to and from work every day, rain, snow or shine. After 4 months, time seemed to be standing still. So I took a 2nd job and worked 70 hour weeks. That's what I mean by self imposed boot camp. I didn't give myself a chance to even really think about anything. I couldn't. There was only one AA meeting a week where I am and I didn't use it. My outpatient counselor told me I would fail. I think he was right to say that, it seemed like a Hail Mary.

But I lucked out and met a couple people who were recovered alcoholics and I saw them nearly every day, even if only for a few minutes. Somehow it worked to get me a prolonged period of abstinence. I'm not sure I'd say I was in recovery until after that ended.

And when people ask me now, I don't recommend this method. But it just goes to show there are a lot of ways to get it done.