View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
GracieLou

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Yes I believe I'm powerless once I take a drink I just don't believe I am powerless BEFORE I take a drink. I think that was what I was confused about. Thank you!
So, for me, I am powerless over alcohol. I have no power once I allow it in my life. It takes over and I lose everything. I can't control it, Lord knows I tried, so instead of continuing to fight with it, I surrendered. I didn't surrender to alcohol, I surrendered to the fact that I was an alcoholic and I am powerless over it. I can't win so I waved the white flag and walked away.

"The first drink gets me drunk" was something I did not understand for a LONG time but once I got that my life changed.

I take this same logic and place it all over my life. I am powerless over people. I can't control them, so I stopped trying. I can't control how the person is driving in front of me, so I stopped trying. I can't control the cranky person in the checkout line in front of me, so I stopped trying. I can't control the decisions my children make, they are adults, so I stopped trying.

I simply stopped trying to control everything and everybody, the only person I can control is me and my reactions to the rest of the world and the people in it. I am powerless over them but I have power over me.

I also took some faith and said "Let go, Let God". This is a simple belief that whatever happens and who ever comes and goes in my life, that is the way it is supposed to be. Not only don't I have that sort of power or control, I don't want or need the burden of it. It is no longer mine to carry, I hand it over to my higher power.

It sounds simple and at times it is, other times it is not. I fail at it daily but I keep trying and I can stop myself now when I get angry or upset with others that I am again, trying to control their lives or thoughts and when I do that it is because I am trying to benefit myself and make my life easier. Life on life's terms not mine.