View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Yup, I'll repeat mine from the previous thread, too (it's my story and I'm sticking to it):
I've used "Lexie" as my nom de web for years, ever since the last ex stalked me on a couple of other forums where I used to post under another name. "Lexie" is significant for a couple of reasons--"lex" refers both to the law and to words. I've been a lawyer most of my adult life, and have always loved to write, and have had to do a LOT of it in my career.

When I adopted my cat, I named her "Lexie" after my alter ego. "Lexie" as a user name was taken, so I added the Cat.
My avatar, btw, is a blend of a couple of books that helped me in early sobriety. "One Breath At A Time," by Kevin Griffin (12 Steps through a Buddhist lens) and the cover of "The 12-Step Buddhist," by Darren Littlejohn. I'm sure I violated a couple of copyright laws by mashing them up, but it's intended as a tribute. I'm not a practicing Buddhist, but I find much of the Buddhist philosophy speaks to me in a very meaningful way. I friend of mine who preceded me into sobriety by a few months used to post excerpts from "One Breath At A Time" on a forum where we both posted. He happens to BE Buddhist, and his sobriety was a huge inspiration to me when I followed in his footsteps.

I got to meet Kevin Griffin in Philadelphia, where he was speaking at the Shambhala Center. Very cool guy. I highly recommend both books to anyone in recovery who considers him/herself an atheist or agnostic. You do NOT have to believe in a Deity to benefit from AA or other 12-Step programs.