View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
Scott, there are NO resources here besides AA which I've tried and didn't like (long story). I even looked for free counseling, but they only offer three sessions. I have no steady income. I wish I were in the US where there are more options. And yes, the last two times I only used SR, and it worked. I definitely accept I am an alcoholic.
There are a lot of online resources you should check out too. You obviously have the forums here, and there is a chat room with regularly scheduled "meetings" ( not AA, just chat meetings ).

Many of the other recovery methods ( both 12 step and secular ) have online meetings that are free via the web, a little googling makes them easy to find. I don't participate regularly in AA or other programs, but I still jump in some of the online meetings from time to time as it's always good to keep an open mind and listen to others who share the same goal as I - and they are all completely free and anonymous.

Self help books are very useful too, both in the field of addiction and mental health - check the sticky for a list of titles.

You mentioned counseling....there is also a forum here for mental health you might want to check out if you feel you might have issues. I personally have GAD and borderline OCD and I've realized that much of my drinking in the past was in part to try and self medicate for these issues, which didn't work of course!

Bottom line, there is a LOT of free help out there...just ask if you need help finding any of it.