View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Welcome back safeandsound. There are a lot of ways to go about this, there are many who use SR as their sole source of support - is that what you were doing during your last stint of sobriety?

For me acceptance was the first step. In AA it's admitting that you are powerless. In AVRT it's recognizing the beast. Some call it surrendering, accepting, "seeing the light" or the aha moment. But at the end of the day, you need to unconditionally accept the fact that picking up even one drink is not an option. And it will never be an option. Once I did that, things got a lot more manageable.

You say AA isn't an option, are there any other local resources available to you? Such as perhaps other meeting based recovery ( Life Ring, Celebrate Recovery, etc ) or perhaps counseling? I only say that because for many, the piece that is lacking with multiple relapses is local support. SR is fantastic of course but some of us need more than that. Basically, keep an open mind for any resource you might find.