View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
ArtFriend

I remember going to a counselor a few years back who was a big Cognitive Behavioral Therapist (and this is the the "therapy du jour" because it is short term and insurance companies like that). Anyway...the way it works is to point out faulty thinking and thereby change behavior. Called stinkin' thinkin', like "all or nothing" "overgeneralizing" "magnification", etc. Anyway, she asked me why I took so long to get into therapy based on my family history. I said I didn't realize I needed it at the time. Then she says, "that is very self-destructive thinking. If you hate yourself that much, why not go lay in the street and wait to get run over".

WTF? I left the session early and NEVER returned. And to this day I refuse to see a CBT counselor - yes, I am over generalizing (ha!)

My point is that everyone knows what is good for them and what they cannot abide. CBT is great for some but not others. I don't care for it because it doesn't take into account your history. Just how you currently perceive things. I prefer a more Rogerian or person centered therapist that is kind and gentle and nudges me slowly. Like you Serenidad.