Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Pete55

If I wasn't so riddled with guilt, shame and remorse when I first found out I was truly alcoholic, I would have kept quieter and recovered anyway.
There's honesty and there's being smart or wise about it.

However,
For me, what worked later on about MY drinking was I had to get honest with myself that I will never ever ever be able to drink "normally" ever ever again and I had this messed up drinking issues from day 1 of drinking "officialy" when started working at 16 and paid for my own drinks. 35 years, trying to learn how to get the drinking game right. It never happened.

I had to "get it" that the way my body deals with alcohol is different and could no longer deny this fact.
Once I honestly accepted the facts about my own drinking that it will go out of control no matter what I try, then that is one of the first boxes ticked so to speak, of the start of removing the obsession about my drinking. The lying stopped cos I ran out of excuses and "sorry" no longer cut it with anyone I knew.

At first I was seeking approval for all my "mistakes" in the past due to alcohol by telling many that "hey look at me, I'm sober and blah blah"
Sure I was honest, but no one gave a damn cept my parents.
I wish I kept it quiet and just said "not drinking today" type of thing when around family and old drinking buddies. Looking back there was no need to explain anything, as long as I don't pick up the first drink things did get better but it's taken a while and still a long way to go to wherever the sober living takes me, I know today is another sober day and there are no problems to deal with that are alcohol or drug related.

I'm nowhere near the serene sober living I see in others at AA meetings, but hey, I get through the door looking forward to cuppa tea or coffee with others who have accepted the fact that we cannot drink normally. To these people I am more honest and open if need be and so are they cos most are on the same page.