View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
murrill

I don't remember many specifics of my first meetings since I was in treatment at the time, but by the time I was discharged I knew that I wanted to be a part of this fellowship. I met people who had done what did (and worse!), yet they were committed to sobriety. They were happy, joyous, and free. I wanted that. Their stories gave me hope, and I found comfort in discovering I was not alone. I learned to arrive a little early, get a cup of coffee, and introduce myself to someone. Many meetings ask if there are any newcomers who would like to introduce themselves. That's optional, but I found it helped me to become a part of something greater than I. Some meetings will discuss a topic (or two) than is brought by a member; sometimes they will read and discuss some AA literature. You can speak if you like, or you can pass. You might get telephone numbers from other people: Use them! I hope you find the warmth and unconditional love I found in AA. It has been the foundation of sobriety for me.