View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Pouncer

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
Sadly, I haven't amassed enough of it to fill a book. I used to have quite the collection going but then I got torn down a couple times and told that I just wasn't any good. It put me in a dark place and while I was there I literally burnt my entire binder to ash... So, I'm back to square one.
Don't do that to yourself, Djinn. I am a writer and I used to do impulsive stuff like that all the time. Now I just rewrite, edit, rewrite, edit...

Just a small bit of advice...as fiction writers, our job is not in creating a reflection of our lives. Our lives are boring - our job is to tell the truth in a lie (or vice versa). Develop characters and/or poetry outside of yourself. Give them/it a history and dimensions that makes them irrepressible and so real that they breathe on the page.

Most of all, don't be too harsh on yourself. Do your best and keep working at it. Writing well is a skill - you have to work at it. Writers have to have thick skin to survive and to make money. Use critiques as an opportunity to improve your resilience.

Write on and rock on, Djinn!