View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
GracieLou

I don't think it is unusual to want our family or friends to be supportive of us. The problem that can happen is when we expect them or anyone really, to acknowledge us and/or our accomplishments.

That can turn into a form of control if we let it. If I focus on that to much, I can flip it and make it about them and not about me and what I am doing for myself or what I can do for other alcoholics.

I didn't have much support from my family either and I only had one friend left. None of them went over the top to support me with words of encouragement and they still don't. My mother, in the heat of an argument called me a dry drunk, she does not even know what it means, she only used it to hurt me.

I know I am not, I work a good program, I have a sponsor, I have worked the steps and I continue to give back. She did not see any of that, she only saw that I was not doing what she wanted me to do. I have to do what is right for me and I will continue to do that as long as I am not hurting others in the process.

I am not an open recovering alcoholic other than on here and in the rooms of AA because that is were I find my support because you understand.

Maybe some day I may be more open about it and I certainly would if I saw another struggling alcoholic in need but this is about my recovery. It is about me wanting to change and be a better person.

If I make new friends, repair old relationships and have a loving support system that was given to me, not the ones I select, then I am blessed.