View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lance40

Hi - I purposely haven't read the other posts so my support isn't influenced by what's been said; so it may already have been posted. Take your sobriety very seriously and make it your top priority. As much as is possible remove all triggers, and be willing to make whatever lifestyle changes are required to do this. Don't try to prove anything to yourself by rushing back into situations where you associate with your past drinking. Sobriety is long-term work, think weeks, months and years - it's a life long journey.

Expect that sobriety can feel boring in the early stages. That's normal and later will become the gift of serenity. Use the "boredom" to rediscover old interests and hobbies and to try new things.

Also expect sobriety to have ups and downs. At some point you will come off the honeymoon phase and it will be hard work. The more dedicated you are in this early phase the easier it will be later. Immerse yourself in sobriety; try multiple approaches: AA, AVRT, SR, web research, learning about addiction, etc. At the same time, don't try to figure it all out. Just go with the flow and embrace the mantra "I don't drink alcohol".

Reach out for help as soon as you feel your resolve or commitment starting to waver. There's no heroism in white knuckling it or trying to do it alone. There is safety and support in numbers.

A sober life is a wonderful thing, and if you stick with the work the best parts of your life are ahead of you. And always remember: You can do this!