Thread: Join For Free
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Ruby2

I read this earlier today and two things popped into my head. Through work and in real life I've heard people say "I don't want a public defender, I want a real lawyer" somehow valuing the services of a public defender, who is free, all the less because they aren't paying for those services. What those people don't take into consideration is that the public defender is a lawyer. A lawyer who is highly interested in public service and may very well be making a whole lot less as a public defender than as an attorney in private practice because they believe in what they do, not because they are handsomely compensated to do it. Second, that public defender works in the same courtroom and knows the judge's idiosyncrasies far better than a random highly paid and sometimes flashy private attorney. They also know the prosecutors and are therefore in the best position to evaluate their client's case, chances at trial and to negotiate the best possible plea deal, if any, based on their training and knowledge in any given situation. So, even if it's free, it's of high value. Same with SR. just because it's free, doesn't mean it's not valuable. Who better than to give insight and recommendations to fellow alcoholics and addicts than someone who has been through it, knows how to get and stay sober and wants to help? I'm not paying for something which is immeasurably valuable in me maintaining sobriety.

My other thought is that SR isn't "free" in the existential sense of the word. I paid my dues to be able to join and say that yes, I am an alcoholic. I heard that at an AA meeting. I paid for my chair. Even though there are no dues or fees for AA. It's the emotional pain and the financial hits my drinking caused that brought me to go.

So, I'm all for free! Free SR is great and thank you to all you lovely people.