Thread: I am busted!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
NikTes

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
When I joined here back in 2010 and I was thinking about stopping drinking I was terrified of my guy glancing over my shoulder, or even worse, leaving the browser open. Why was I so scared? Because I didn't want anyone to see it. The reason was that I wanted the option to start drinking again whenever I wanted, casually without any questions, just as easy as "hey, would you pick up some wine while you're out." I have always known that once my guy, family, or friends knew about it I would then have to stop. I continued four more years of sneaking on here, minimizing the browsing window when he even walked in the room, and not saying a peep about actually stopping. Once I actually drove home on my lunch break to see if I had left the browser open. I was sure that I had but it turned out I didn't. He was home that day and boy was my heart racing on that ten minute drive home.

I was on the sly here at SR for four years. I also drank for four more years.

Last June when I knew in my heart and soul that I was done drinking I became less secretive. I'm still very quiet about it but by chance he has peeked over my shoulder a few times and I finally said I just go on here and read sometimes.

I'm not saying we all need to announce to everyone that we're on here. In fact, I would be horrified if friends or family came in here and browsed my posts. Just as I would be horrified if they read my journal. However, if he did, I'd get over it. This is my space and I just prefer to keep it private.
There's a lot of wisdom here, and in this whole thread -- thank you!
I commiserate with much of what's been said as well.

I haven't told my husband about me being on this site. More at issue for me is that he never knew my problem was as bad as it was and so to talk to him about being here on SR would be to tell him everything, which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with yet. I do worry about the idea of being secretive equating to not being done with drinking or being hopeful about returning to drinking... Working on that. I do need to be less secretive about what's really going on with me, but I also need to protect SR as my own private space as I work through my issue. My SR family is the only people know what what's really going on! And for that I'm grateful.