Thread: Join For Free
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LBrain

Join For Free

I can’t help but notice the “Join For Free” box prominently displayed when I bring up SR on my browser.
If I had seen that when I “joined”, I probably wouldn’t have joined.
I signed up. Whenever I see a site I might be interested in and there is a “join for free” carrot dangling on the page, I move on. Join for free indicates to me that there is a catch, which is usually true 99% of the time. Sure I can “join” for free, but I’m sure my credit card numbers will be required on page two. Or I have to promise my next born...

I wonder how many prospective members will be ‘scared’ away by the “Join For Free” box.
Does anyone else have an opinion on this or am I just one of those weird persons who is skeptical about anything for free?
I am sure the powers that be have a marketing consultant who paid good money for a college education telling them that the typical person can be targeted by the typical advertisement i.e. “Join For Free” and it will work.
The problem here is that we are not dealing with the typical person. Most people that come across this site are suffering in one way or another. Their mental and emotional state may not be “typical”.
They are most likely paranoid and/or hiding from something or someone. And they are also more likely to be skeptical of things attempting to lure them in. When they see the join for free box they may just move on to something else.

Do any of you brainiacs educated on the human condition have an opinion on this? Am I just one goofy MF?

Were any of you who joined recently debating over the “join for free” box?

My opinion is that the “Join For Free” box should be replaced with a “Join In The Discussion” box that links new members to the sign up page. But that’s just my opinion.

Oh, I almost forgot, It really is FREE. Don't be frightened away by the "Join For Free" box.

Last edited by LBrain; 04-26-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: It's really free