View Single Post
Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Hi - welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly folk and wisdom on here.

Re AA - lots of people are too emotional to talk in the early days. I cried buckets. I've seen others cry buckets. After a while that eased up and I could start really listening, and the anxiety subsided. Now I sometimes choose to share and sometimes I don't. There is never any expectation or demand that people talk / share - especially a newcomer. One girl I know has been going for two years. She has recently set herself a challenge to introduce herself and say thanks for the share and meeting. Sometimes she manages it, sometimes not. It's no problem. Honestly. Sometimes the most useful conversations I've had are in the coffee break or while we're tidying up. It might be worth another go is all I'm saying - just don't put any pressure on yourself to address the rooms. There's no need.

If you like reading, there are some really helpful books available. Monkey on My Shoulder and Living Sober were both massively helpful to me, and are available from Amazon (either as paper copies or cheap downloads).

Anyway - welcome to the site, to sobriety, to sanity, and soon - serenity.

It won't be easy - but it will be worth it.

x