View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
allplayedout

Need some support...plain & simple

Hi there,
I have been living with my alcoholic boyfriend for about 3 years now. I am single mom of 2 boys ages 7 & 9. He doesn't have kids of his own and never wanted to and there are definitely issues when the kids are around.

He gets very frustrated and impatient with them quite easily, he doesn't want to be involved in family outings or get togethers, shows little interest in birthdays, etc. On weekends, he starts drinking at about 10 am and goes until he passes out. He drinks weeknights as well and ends up passed out on the couch until 4 am. His dog is his baby and he definitely favours him over my children.

He has said he wanted to quit drinking and that flies for about 5 days then he has excuses to start again like "work is stressful, your kids are stressful, money issues". When I do try to talk to him about his drinking, he says he knows he's an alcoholic but he's functioning well. How he describes it as "I don't get mean or yell when I'm drunk and yes I get too drunk when friends are over, but I'm trying to have a good time and I go to work everyday, making a good wage."
He said he was going to arrange counseling through work but that never happened.

He spends a lot of money on alcohol and that also poses an issue with finances.

He is very convincing and manipulative, he loves attention from other women and says to me he is just trying to be nice and likes paying compliments to everyone.

There is so much more and I don't want to keep rambling on, but it's just a start to get things off my chest.
Thanks for "listening"!