View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Live2Run25
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by cambie03 View Post
Okay, the uniformity of these comments is telling me I need to be a little selfish and tell my husband I can't go to this party. I've known that all along that this is going to be a bad environment -- I mean, how weird and strange is it to be worried about alcohol and drugs at a one year olds birthday party?? But the biggest issue as everyone addressed here is messing up my own sobriety. I feel a little selfish saying I can't go but yeah, sounds like the temptation just won't be worth it.
There is NOTHING selfish about wanting to stay sober, and being happy in your own skin. You said yourself you won't be comfortable here. You said that you put your husband through the ringer with your drinking. Why risk doing it again? One month is fantastic, but it's still really fresh and raw, like a healing open wound. It won't take much to tear it back open, causing it to take twice as long to heal. It sounds like you are putting his needs above your own, and you really can't with sobriety. Honestly, your husband is a little selfish asking you to even come to this with him. Why in the world would you take someone in recovery to a party like this. You are NOT being selfish by not going, you are being responsible.