View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Live2Run25
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by cambie03 View Post
FYI - been sober one month six days, so still very early in sobreity. I would LOVE a way to bow out but my husband really hasn't asked anything of me until now, he's been fine with us staying in and watching movies instead of going out and being social.

These people are horrible but "these have been his friends for 15 years - even though he doesn't have anything in common with them anymore" etc etc. He just wants to have nice day with all of us together. I've put him through hell for years of blackouts, drinking binges, etc. so I want to do this for him :/

Sorry, but this isn't doing ANYONE any favors. Your husband should understand and be supportive. This kind of occasion is the last thing you need in your sobriety right now. I do hope you can see that. Is he going to be drinking and engaging in "other" activities leaving you alone to be uncomfortable and to be "looked down upon"?

Just because you don't ask much of him doesn't mean the first thing you do for him has to be a party that puts your sobriety in such danger! I'd be SO triggered at something like this, even now, 3 years sober.

If you MUST go, be sure to have a plan for if you feel overwhelmed.. Have an exit strategy, or a code word you can say to your husband when you are ready to go.