View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cambie03

Words of encouragement please :)

I am going to be facing some pretty big sobriety challenges this weekend - and I'm hoping and praying I can be strong enough to face them.

Tomorrow I'm going to a party for my husband, who has been a SAINT during my difficult alcohol periods and super supportive in sobriety, and asked me to go as a favor to him since he wants to see his friends but also hang out with me. It is a birthday party for my husband's friend's one year old baby. Believe it or not, the one-year-old's birthday party is going to be filled with alcohol (and likely drug-fueled as well based on the people who are in attendance). Unfortunately, my husband's friends are uniformly into the party scene and are heavy substance abusers, and even when I was drinking heavily they make me very uncomfortable - they've always been degrading to me and dismissive to me. Whenever I've hung out with this group in the past I've drank heavily just to block out how terrible I feel around them.

My anxiety level is probably in the 90-95% level right now, and I am dreading this party. But I also am feeling like no way am I going to let these a**holes mess up the sobriety that I have been working so hard for!

Anyway.... words of encouragement to help me stay strong would be so much appreciated. Thanks in advance