View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Turtle82
Sober Alcoholic

Welcome Calypso. I'm an old gal and still believe in the more traditional ways. When I first came to AA I was told by the old-timers to keep deeply personal info or info I wouldn't put in the newspaper away from the tables. That that type of info was best shared with a sponsor or close, trusted, AA friend. I agree with it even more so in a public forum on the internet.. not meaning the literal meaning of public as from a search engine but, to say, you just don't know the hundreds here and, thus, who is reading. Find someone whose posts appeal to you and either share with them in PM or email or ask them who they might recommend. This is also advice we give in those hearing a 5th Step... one trusted individual. You may think, right now, that you want to unload what feels shameful to you but once its been posted, its there forever unless you get a mod to delete it later. At best, slow down and think it through. Congratulations on coming here. You're in the right place.

PS: Please don't take people's reactions personally. Its not good for you. When people "squirm in their seats" so to speak it doesn't necessarily mean they're judging you. It just means they're human and certain things make everyone uncomfortable. That's a good thing in its humanity. Also, I didn't mean to imply that you need to be suspiscious of people here. It just makes good sense to keep things close to your vest until you get to know the ropes better.