View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post
Is it too late to go to rehab at 4 months sober ? I need the rest.
LOL! Better to be in a screw-it state of mind than a screw-driver state of mind!

You know what I did? Eventually? I went ahead and screwed it. Gave up on my expectations for myself. Admitted I couldn't cope -- not just couldn't drink, couldn't cope.

I found a person I called my minder. She'd sit with me a couple of times a week. I'd say, C___, I can't do anything anymore. She'd say, well, let's make a list. Sometimes I'd say, can we get coffee first? And we would, and she'd tell me about her dog or something, and then we'd go back & she'd help me write a list. And then we'd look through it for the easy things, the ones that didn't intimidate me too much, and we'd break them down into all the steps she could do for me, and put her initials next to them.

It was huge for me in so many ways. I was weak as a kitten and could barely hold things together, but she helped me. And I learned to let someone else see me being as pathetic as I really was. No room for pride between me & C___. Hell, she practically wiped my nose.

When the phone rings, tell them, no, you can't face it, find someone else this time. Hang up next time, too-- it's liberating. Hire a personal assistant, part time, 10 hours a week. It's better than an institution, and cheaper