View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by RunnerBean View Post
I Agee living in dorm Is not recommended and an alcohol free home is the way to go. When people know you don't drink the partiers will drop you like a hot potato.

This is what I'm worried about too. My student loan will only cover student hall accommodation, so I haven't got the option to live in a separate house. This is making me extra nervous because I'll already be, on average, 8 years older than the majority of the students, and by not drinking, I fear I'll become the 'old, boring guy' (I've never been known as boring or old before!)

On the upside, I will be able to move into my own accommodation in the second year.

Thanks again for sharing your views and advice.
Most schools have non drinking dorms for the serious students. About the boring part. I have had more fun doing fun things with sober people than I ever had being a drunk.

Almost ever alcoholic I ever have met myself included thought that the world would end when I stopped drinking. This is a lie that alcohol tells us. There are a lot of people who either do not drink or drink in moderation. We have surrounded ourselves with people that drank like us for so long that we think the whole world is like that. Trust me that is simply not the case. To super charge your support network get involved with the young people recovery groups at school. I am an old Fart but I know a bunch of AAers that are in their early to mid-twenties and they do all sorts of fun things together. Camping, parties, dances, golf, bonfires.

You can do this!