SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Being Sober While Others Aren't
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by GirlGoneBad View Post
Thanks to all for such great and helpful responses. I agree that avoiding places like bars is so crucial. I also appreciate everyone's insights on what they do when they don't want to drink but it's the focal point of the evening. And such as was said, right now I do associate "social engagements" with "alcohol." I used to scan the room for the closest bar when I walked in. If I can break that connection between the two, I believe I am set, as I can really have fun just about anywhere (and where there isn't fun to be had I can often tell myself the event is a learning experience). It would be nice to listen the music and HEAR the lyrics; to conversate and not worry about it turning into a drunken fight/ cry fest; be able to go out and know if I fall down, it's legitimately because of my high heels, and not me stumbling in them. To REMEMBER the night at the end of it! God, how many nights have I lost to black outs?
That almost seems like a dream.
There is no doubt it will be a learning experience but if you drink the learning will come at a very high cost. Always remember that alcohol has a lifetime to wait for our one moment of weakness.

Many fail because they underestimate the power of their enemy.
The Following User Says Thank You to MIRecovery For This Useful Post:
MelindaFlowers (04-22-2015)