View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
thenewguy

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
I looked into a site called Meetups.com. It's a national website that lists all kinds of social activities in your area that you could join. I figured it would be a great opportunity to get together with non-drinkers to do fun things. Turned out almost all the activities involved drinking at one point or another. I told a therapist I was seeing at the time about it, but she said that it was just an excuse for me not to get out and socialize. She later told me she checked out the site and found out what I said was true.
It's not as easy as some people make it sound to just go out and find sober people to hang out with. John

This is very true. I'm at 20 months sober, and I've been looking to socialize more; AA is cool, just looking to broaden my horizons a bit. There was a cafe nearby that was advertising a "board game night", which was cool because I love all kinds of games. Turns out it was a "Board n' Brew", where they sit around drinking their crappy microbrews while playing, which I imagine would get obnoxious pretty quick. This town has a dark, underlying drinking scene. I wish there was more sober stuff to do, or I wouldn't be such a hermit all the time.