Thread: On My Way
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Haven't posted in this thread for a few days for no particular reason although I have been spending time at other places on SR. I'd characterize the days since I last posted here as okay, meaning I'm a long way from being where I want to be both mentally and physically, but slowly getting there. Unfortunately the one big exception to "okay" was that I had some drinks Monday night. I just did; there was no trigger that I was able to identify either concurrently or retrospectively and I think it was a matter of me temporarily moving away from my mantra of, "I do not drink.". I also stayed up later than I normally do. Yesterday I was back on track. I did have some cravings which is still my norm and in some ways it was an odd day. I'll admit that as I went to bed on Monday I did not have high expectations for the following morning; fortunately I was wrong.

I woke up early and full of energy to do some work before a breakfast meeting and after doing some more work when I got back to my office I went for a great 4 mile run. And it still wasn't 11 AM! The feeling of being energized and focused led to an incredibly productive day; I plowed through stuff I had been putting off the past few days as I'd been feeing lethargic and unmotivated. That's not a good thing when you own the company. There's been some carry over to today as I've gotten a good amount of work done this morning as well as having my best weight lifting session in over a week.

To be clear, perfectly clear I hope, I am in no manner implying that my actions Monday night had anything to do with Tuesday or today. My belief is that there was no causation. I'm writing as someone reporting the bad (Monday night) and the good (Tuesday and today) because they happened and I intend to keep my mantra of "I do not drink." in the forefront of my thoughts. In fact when I was at the gym this morning, huffing and sweating with muscles that were tired, I reminded myself of how much better of a feeling that was than how I felt after a couple of drinks Monday night. As in better in every respect. On my drive home I made a mental list of the pros and cons of drinking, one of the tools in my toolbox, and as always there is only one entry on the pro side: NONE.