View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

I stayed away from any alcohol-related event completely for a couple of months. Nowadays I divide events into 2 categories when I consider going

1. Events EXCLUSIVELY designed for drinking and nothing else: Bachelor parties, bars, "guys" weekends up at the cabin, etc. Even with multiple years of sobriety under my belt I do not attend these events. The main goal of these is to drink, and I do not drink so there is no reason for me to be there.

2. Events/Places where alcohol is served, but it is not the main focus: Reunions, Weddings, Funerals, Graduation Parties, etc: I attend these, but I also notice that while alcohol is available, not everyone is drinking it. In fact, the majority of people drink very little or nothing at all. As an alcoholic, I of course hung out with the other drinkers at these events in the past. But as you open your eyes to the world around you, you notice that the barfiles/drinking crowd is really the minority. Most people dont' even notice what you are drinking or if you are drinking anything at all.

Another thing to consider is attending only parts of said events. For example, it's perfectly acceptable to attend a wedding without going to the reception. Or go to the reception and just stay for the meal and share your congratulations.