Thread: Hey, me again
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by MrQuit View Post
I keep drinking because it's one of the only things I've always ever known. A part of my personality that's existed since my earliest memories. A norm.

But there are other norms too which aren't destructive - good things - this keeps me drinking too. The bottom line is that the status quo can't maintain. The wind is in the weathervane.

This is why I ask for your tips :-)
I asked for your reasons to better direct my tips

Doing something because that's the way we've always done it isn't a really cogent reason for continuing that behaviour, especially if it's self destructive.

I still don't know much about your reasons so here's mine:

I had many reasons for continuing - my drinking was how I defined myself, I didn't want to be different, I was scared to death of change and drinking was my go to medicine for every bad feeling or anxiety.

I had to take drinking off the table as a viable option in dealing with all those things.

If you don't have the desire to stop and the will to see that desire through then whatever method you choose is pretty much doomed to fall.

If AA is not your thing and you're not into meetings, try Rational Recovery. There's a lot of threads on it in our Secular Forum.

The books by Jason Vale and Allen Carr have been useful for those looking for motivation to quit too

D

Last edited by Dee74; 04-21-2015 at 11:11 PM.