View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I think I might feel as you do if I had been mislead like that. It is what is called a temporised message, temporising meaning that we don't tell the whole truth, instead playing for time, sugar coating the message, to get you hooked in. It's a bad strategy because it is dishonest and I'm not surprised it has left you feeling as you do.

I didn't get that when I came in. They told me that the program was based on the premise that we are beyond human aid and will therefore need the help of a power greater than myself. I rejected that a few times. The whole God idea drove me away, but the booze kept driving me back.

Eventually I looked a little closer and saw the phrase "unsuspected inner resource which we later identified with a power greater than ourselves" I could go for that. The fact of the matter is that AA is about God, our own conception of God, not anything to do with religion in my experience. It is one method of recovery, a spiritual method. There are others. I wonder if anyone has success rates for other methods.