Thread: New to this
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 01:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bookmaven

Originally Posted by IamhereNow View Post
Hi, I am new to this website but not new to NA. I have a little over 11 months clean. I am wondering if I belong here. I heard in a meeting that using prescription drugs is not considered using. This confused me. As far as I understand it, NA is a program of complete abstinence from all mood/mind altering chemicals that has a caused a problem in one's life. I would appreciate all comments regarding this. If I were a newcomer and heard that message in a meeting, I do not think I would return.
I'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but I can really relate to this and I actually posted in the mental health section about my most recent experience with it.

You have to decide what is right for you. Some people cannot handle any drugs, even over the counter, other people, like me, must take medicine prescribed by my doctor. Anyone spewing medical advice outside the doctor/patient relationship is dangerous and irresponsible. My life depends on me being sober, and my sobriety depends on managing my mental health issues.