Old 04-18-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Originally Posted by sturner75 View Post
What do you mean by this please? As in the "holier than thou" post? Granted, many people are...I'm not. I understand I've many, many flaws and have acknowledged some of them with friends, family, my husband and have apologised untold times and will continue to do so until my dying day.
I just brought up an issue that many in my group have addressed....it is so impressive when people are successful in sobriety however the method they choose/is successful for them. I continue to look upon in wonderment how people can be physically dependent then fight it, whether SMART, AA, secular or community groups, rehab, detoxes, online support....it is an individual journey and different strokes for different folks peeps!
Once again, I'm overwhelmed by the number of people who viewed this post in the first place, and am extremely grateful to those who have taken the time to post.
I never intended to offend anyone with strong beliefs...reiterating that fair and true phase: each to their own.
No more negativity please!
So sorry you took it personally. I was in no way referring to you and indeed, you have my complete support in feeling uncomfortable about the "preachy" types. I was referring, rather, to those who belong to groups who believe they have the definitive answer and that this consists in surrendering to their own concept of "higher power", like the woman down at the local church two thanksgivings ago who berated me for not being what she called a true Christian and for my admiring Mahatma Gandhi and the Dalai Lama. She said i was selfish and didn't love my wife. I left my Thanksgiving dinner uneaten and went home alone, taking medication to lessen the likelihood of a heart attack. i sent her a message that I forgave her for this but I have not gone down that church again. She really believed that she was "holier than thou!" So, Sturner, I am really in your camp. I am not negative about you. I am negative about those who make you feel uncomfortable. Please tell me now that you understand what I have said. I have been where you are right now. Preached at by those who believe they have the answer. The only true answer. The truth is that there is no one true answer. There are many paths up Mt. Fuji. He who stands on his chosen path and calls all others fools is himself a fool, and a pretentious one at that. I am sending you a private message to alert you that I have posted this. Good luck in achieving sobriety, on your own terms and not on those "preached" to you by others. Listening to suggestions, based on experience, is one thing. Being "preached" at is quite another

W.