Old 04-18-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Bmac
Court jester

FWIW, I went to my home group yesterdeay and was talking with an old timer of 26 years. I explained to him that this last time I started drinking, I promised myself that if it ever got to a certain point, I would quit. I told him that I reached that point and went striaght to detox before suffering any real consequences that I knew I would face if I did not stop at my predetermined stopping point.

His response was something like, "I'm not saying this is all in your head, but the big book specifically says that once an alcoholic drinks, he loses complete control on putting down the drink".

So yeah, there are those who treat the big book like holy scripture and scoff if anyone's experience differs from what the book says. But we see the same in various other aspects of society; religion, politics, social issues etc.. It's just how we as humans have been conditioned after generations of the "being right" mentality.

I hold no resentment to those hard core AAers no more than I hold resentments to many good friends who differ in my political ideology. Bottom line, we are all simply trying to stay sober and doing what we each think is best for us.

Besides, it always makes me feel better when I try to be kind rather than try to be "right".