SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Luck or Sobriety?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alphabet

Luck or Sobriety?

... or both!?

It's been almost two weeks since getting out of rehab and things really, sincerely, couldn't be better. While in the program I really hit the pavement in trying to find a new job and through the hard work I put into finding something, I secured a temp position (potential hire) making as much to start as I was as a paralegal about 5 years ago. I lost that job two years ago next month due to my drinking.
As some of you may remember, in my free time I used to also do a lot of freelance music journalism, something that fell to the wayside as my drinking spiraled out of control. I thought my integrity in that realm had been completely shot to the ground... until I got an offer to cover a festival internationally, expenses paid. It's something I elected to turn down due to the newness of my sobriety, but still put me on cloud 9 and has given me the confidence to really get back out there and cover stories and bands that I love.

My living situation is improving, as is my relationship with my partner. My dogs even seem to notice a difference in me and are more excited than ever when I walk in the door each day. I feel healthier, my skin is brighter, my mood has improved, as has my overall outlook on life. I have hope for the future, now. That's a far cry from the blubbering, suicidal mess I had become.

When it rained, it poured and there were countless times I almost drowned in the ensuing flood. I know being sober won't ensure completely smooth sailing, but it really is incredible how bright the sun can shine when you put in the work. I finally feel like I can weather the storms to come, and more importantly can actually enjoy the fruits of my labor.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Alphabet For This Useful Post:
Berrybean (04-18-2015), brynn (04-18-2015), Dee74 (04-18-2015), Della1968 (04-18-2015), jazzfish (04-18-2015), Lovesunrises (04-18-2015), Melina (04-18-2015), MIRecovery (04-18-2015), readerbaby71 (04-18-2015), SDH73 (04-18-2015)