View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JaneLane

Unhappy Family interaction

Hi everyone

I have eight days sober and so far it's a wild ride, mostly good but the lows suck!

Anyway, I just wanted some advice.

I don't live close to my family and I live in a tee-total home (now). I feel very nervous making any phone calls and this extends to my family. My grandparents are alcoholics and have had massive health problems due to it. When I call them, they are drunk. Whatever time of day it is, they're drunk. My dad is also an alcoholic so I consider myself unlucky when he picks up the phone instead of my mum. I also have an alcoholic uncle and auntie who both experience fits and have massive damage to their bodies from booze.

My issue is, when I visit any of them, I find it very triggering. Despite their health affects from alcohol, I feel so sad and disappointed that it's the one situation which I find difficult to refuse alcohol.

I know it should be a push to remain sober, but it has the opposite effect. I know I need to protect my sobriety but I get upset when I speak to them on the phone and even worse when I see them in person.

I just wanted to get that out!