Thread: Fresh Starts
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HeartsAfire

Fresh Starts

I have in front of me a very unique & exciting opportunity. We recently moved into a very social, tight-knit neighborhood with the most active HOA I've ever seen. It is truly one of a kind. There are constant social activities and get togethers.

Today we'll be attending our first one as a family - a crawfish boil. I'm excited about this for the obvious reasons (meeting new neighbors, being outside on a beautiful day, our entire family having the same social calendar for one whole day just to name a few). The reason I'm most excited about; however, is that my neighbors get to meet & know me as a sober person. I get a fresh start in the truest since of the word. There won't be any whispers or raised eyebrows about how many visits I make to the keg. No one will notice how loud & sloppy I am after several beers. My family won't have to worry about what I'm revealing about our personal lives to complete strangers. Nope. Not happening today.

Today I'm Heartsafire. The new neighbor who happens to not drink. Just like I don't like crawfish, I don't like to drink. Instead I prefer (& will enjoy) a hamburger & a coke. Not drinking is not the be all end all of who I am - just a very small part of me. Today I get to (and will) show my neighbors that with pride & confidence.

Eight months of sobriety has afforded me freedoms I'm still discovering daily.

And I'm on my knees with gratitude.