View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
immri

Originally Posted by StellaPolaris View Post
Thank you all. I'm an only child, and my mom is the most important person in my life. I know she suspected I was in trouble, guess it came as a shock to have it confirmed. I'm surprised at the amount of people in AA who are ashamed to call themselves alcoholics. I didn't drink any more or less or differently after I realized I was an alcoholic, i just got a label for my disease. Same problem, but now with a support system. I think my mom's ashamed (not over me per se, but of the general stigma of it). I think my mom will blame herself for this, but I'm ready to meet her and explain that this is all on me, and I'm doing good so far.

I relate completely to everything you said here, I'm exactly the same - only child, my mum means the world to me, I had the same reaction to the term alcoholic, my mum blames herself.

My mums reaction to me going to AA was a bit like yours, although she definitely knew about my alcohol problem and has seen me in and out of hospital so wasn't a surprise, but I suspect she still thought it was all a matter of will power and when I really wanted to stop I just could.
So when I told her I'm going to AA she was a bit like 'oh...that's really good...' And was quite visibly upset,
then when I got back from my first meetings (2 in one day) and told her I really liked it and I think this will really help me, she went on and on about how surprised she was that I enjoyed it, thought the people would be scary, Etc
I go at least 4 times a week atm and she still thinks it's weird I think, and doesn't understand why I need to go still or why I can't just skip one if its raining/im in a good mood/she wants to catch up/etcetc
She's glad I'm sober, and I've told her this helps keep me sober, so beyond that we don't talk about it
I've stopped filling everyone in on my recovery too, like Dee said. 'Normal' people tend not to understand, so I just keep that to myself for the most part - and SR and AA of course!