Old 04-17-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Not a very major job change, but I moved into another position in ~my 3rd sober month, which started to involve a set of tasks and responsibilities that I had never done before or only marginally. That was in addition to the "usual" kind of work that I had been doing for over 3 years before I got sober, in the same job/institution. I am someone who typically loves change and novelty when sober, so it was a positive move for me at that point, but of course also challenge and I had lots of anxieties for quite a few months. If I had/could to do it all over again though, I would choose to do just the same. The position I moved into in early sobriety is continually very dynamic and involves lots of challenges that are sometimes unexpected, but also more freedom and independence compared with most of my previous professional situations. I'm very free, and actually expected, to initiate new projects, collaborations, and endeavors. Of course with all this comes amplified responsibility, but also generally increased trust that I need to stand up to.

I moved states and once even continents earlier while I was already drinking heavily, major job change each time, and I handled it quite well even in that condition. Well, I should say relatively well as I will never know now how it might have been had I not been an active alcoholic during those times.

My personal opinion on these things is that it's highly individual. If you feel that you know yourself quite well, including what types of challenges motivate you and tend to cause difficulties, if you are feeling relatively self-confident and don't have major emotional and other life issues, I would say go for it. My philosophy is that these questions are always best decided in the context of our personalities and individual situations. Similar to the other question that comes up here all the time, whether dating is a good idea in early sobriety or not.

Congrats on your 5.5 sober months and the fact that you feel excitement and positive anticipation is a good one, I would say