Old 04-17-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hendrix
Recognising my AV

Major job change in early sobriety - anyone done it?

Hello folks
Just wanted to see the views of you wise folk..........
I know there's a consensus that major life changes in early sobriety are probably best avoided I fell compelled to make one.

I'm 5 and a half months sober and really starting to feel well and strong. I've not been happy in my job for some time - I've been shoehorned into a role that I didn't really want by outside influences. My job looks nothing like it did when I signed up for it and I want to go back to the career I started out doing and lose the management responsibilities. The trouble is to do that would mean a drop in salary.

Unfortunately we can't afford to do that but there is an alternative - to go freelance. It's a bit of a gamble but there is plenty of work out there, has been for some time and will be for the foreseeable future.

I feel really excited and liberated at the thought, have the support from my wife but there are just one or two niggly doubts. I suppose fear of the unknown is part of it as I've always managed to hold down a job despite a serious 30 year drink habit.

I feel that you only get one shot and this could open up opportunities that I've never thought of before

Is the idea of not making changes too soon a hard and fast "rule" or have some of you just gone ahead, taken the risk and lived to tell the tale?

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences