View Single Post
Old 04-16-2015, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hey, cambie, lawyer here (retired prosecutor). I'd be glad to pm with you about it.

Incidentally, there are a few great resources for lawyers who are in recovery. One is "Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers"--here's a NY Times article about it: LCL. We had a very small group in my county that eventually folded because we weren't getting enough participation, but I did it for the past couple of years (I'm sober six and a half years). The NY Lawyers' Assistance Program (LAP) is another good resource: NYLAP. And finally, there is International Lawyers in AA. I've never had much involvement with them (though I'm in AA), but they have a listserv as well as an annual convention.

I no longer actively practice law, but I got an AWESOME post-retirment job working at a nonprofit that deals with the criminal law issues I was most passionate about (violence against women). I would NEVER have gotten this job if I had still been drinking when I retired. I would have just isolated and started drinking myself to death, most likely.

Congrats on your month!