Old 04-16-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Solarion

If there are several AA groups who meet within easy distance, I would suggest trying a few different ones out, as you might find one or two where the members approach the program less literally or traditionally or dogmatically, each in their own way.

As for objectionable behavior in groups, one aspect might be that some people are more sensitive and/or introverted than most, which could affect perceptions.

And some are less so, and seem completely immune or oblivious to social mores or the nonverbal cues of people glaring at them with corrective thoughts radiating from their brows.

Which leads to the general human problem that not everyone behaves they way we would like them to, or the way other people generally do, or the way we would in their place.

So groups can provide plenty of practice of some sort or another -- e.g., tolerance, patience, acceptance, deliberate obliviousness -- and also communication ...

Maybe try having a word with the obnoxious person or the doormat facilitator (privately and kindly, of course, and I would suggest also acknowledging their positive contributions) to see whether the situation can be improved.

So endeth my sermonette.

Wishing you improving health and happiness,

A