Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Axiom

Hey Sturner!

Personally I think it's a good idea to always do more than you think you need to in order to stay sober. When I was first getting sober if you told me I had to ride a unicycle to stay sober I would have tried it.
That said, I don't believe you need the steps to stay sober. Plenty of other programs and methods are out there. I really didn't like AA mainly because I couldn't figure out what it was through the contradictory things being said to me and I was told I had to do it or die. It wasn't until I realized that I didn't need AA that I was able to appreciate it as a support group that is full of people who are honestly just trying to stay sober and help others do the same.
You are going to run into preachy and obnoxious types everywhere in the recovery world. You can ignore or listen to them, say thank you or argue.
If I ever thought for a minute that I needed the steps in order to stay sober I would run to the closest AA meeting and be the first to speak.
It worries me that you are writing off programs due to the people you meet in them(AA preachy, SMART obnoxious). What they think and say shouldn't affect your sobriety any more than different views should affect your politics.
I had to listen to everyone and figure out what would work for me. I really hope you find something that works for you and in the mean time, please don't drink and keep posting.

Edit: The SMART workbook is $10 and worth going through. They also say that the BB is the program of AA but I have to admit I have only skimmed it.

Last edited by Axiom; 04-16-2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Books