Old 04-16-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I definitely understand your aversion to "preachy" types. I think it's a twofold issue. The first is that AA has worked for a LOT of people. While members of AA are instructed that AA should be a program of attraction, not promotion, people get excited when they had lost everything to alcohol and had no hope left, and suddenly found themselves living normal lives without the need for substances. They want to share their positive experiences. AA has a lot of positive emotions for me. But I mostly keep that to myself in public forums, and instead, share my gratefulness at group level in meetings. I live my life by the steps, and if anyone wants help to get where I've gotten, I'm always glad to oblige. But I don't think it's the only way to get and stay sober. Those that do should be ignored.

The second issue is always a bit more concerning. I'm in AA and atheist. I'm not a member of organized religion, nor do I believe in any kind of supreme being. But it is always a bit frustrating when preconceived notions about the program get in the way. I've seen so many newcomers take a look at the steps, see the word, "god" a few times, and claim, without even giving it a fair shot, that the program is not for them. To me, recovery isn't time best situation to be close-minded and/or picky. No matter what recovery method one chooses, going in with a close-minded attitude is not beneficial. Stating upfront that one wants to stop drinking, but isn't willing to do this or that to get sober is not going to get them very far.

I went into AA completely open-minded, with no preconceived notions about anything. I just wanted to get sober and not die. I worked the steps. No one pushed me to believe in "their" god. My higher power is my own. No one has ever told me what it should be.

Could I have stayed sober using another program of recovery? Maybe. But I think that's more based on my own willingness to try anything and everything in order to put down the drink and shift my perspective to someone who just lives happily without alcohol. In my humble opinion, if you're going to discount or dismiss methods of recovery without approaching with an open mind and the willingness to put in the work, you might be setting yourself for a letdown.