Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You know the funny thing? I think I actively made the decision to 'make myself' into an alcoholic. For my first two years at university, my first two years of real freedom, I WANTED to be known as the heavy drinker, the hard boozing troubled intellectual. Most of my literary/artistic heroes were alcoholics and I wanted to be like them. What a terrible way to think! Well, I guess I need to unmake myself. A reassuring thing is that many of these literary/artistic heroes did recover, though usually after drinking for many more years than I. I guess a not reassuring thing is that many of them also died.

Another note, being an alcoholic I naturally frequently surrounded myself with other alcoholics. The vast majority are less 'binge drinkers' such as myself and more 'every-day drinkers'. I made them feel better about their problems because I got drunker than they did, they made me feel better about mine because I could take days off whilst they couldnt. Thinking about them now, even though some have managed to achieve things in their life despite their problem, I am not sure I am now envious of any of them.