Old 04-15-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I think getting myself to my first AA meeting has to be my priority (that and seeing a doctor to appraise my current state of health).

Since I am warming to this community, I will provide a few more relevant details about myself.

a) My father died 6 weeks ago. I am still struggling to work out my feelings about it. It also necessitated a very speedy return from the country I lived in for the previous 21 months. This necessitated parting from my lovely (and very positive influence) girlfriend, who I miss very much. So I am going through some difficult feelings emotionally.
b) My mother is a practicing alcoholic, who lives with her severe alcoholic boyfriend. I stayed with them during most of my previous five weeks in the UK before coming here, conversely this dramatically decreased my own drinking because I did not want to drink with them and did not like what I saw them doing.
c) I will have some inheritance from my father, not a huge amount, but enough that I will be in a position to afford in house recovery if it seemed that that was the only option.

Everything makes this a very logical time for me to attempt complete sobriety. Not least because it means now that I will never have to admit to my father that I am an alcoholic, something I could never have done.

I just need to find the strength to actually do it.