Thread: Refuge Recovery
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by samseb5351
The idea as I understand buddhist mindfulness is to be an "observer" without judgement (or at least be an observer with a non judgmental attitude) when we start of with ideas of segmented parts of our brain and Beast labels and higher selves and Big Plans we are already on the backfoot with a non judgmental approach.
That is how I quit my addictions, through the Buddhist principles of mindfulness and watching as an observer. The technique as described does parallel that practice to me. I have never held judgement as in "bad beast", I've simply used a similar technique (remember I quit before I learned of AVRT) to watch objectively as feelings (cravings) came and went. That is very similar to me as the practice of sitting with discomfort and allowing thoughts, feelings, emotions, whatever...to pass. The analogy of hindrances "coming to visit" and instead of "fighting" them, the Buddhist practitioner would invite them in. That to me speaks of not fearing the Beast (AVRT analogy).

As far as the "division being an attachment", I don't see it that way. If there is no self to begin with, then division of self is moot anyway. I see the technique of recognizing the AV and then basically doing nothing (meaning not engaging) as very similar to Buddhist ideas. If you don't that's cool too.

To say I draw a parallel does not mean that I think these ideologies are identical,btw. It just means it's an observation I've made that you may or may not agree with or be able to relate to.

samseb, have you read The New Cure in it's entirety?