Thread: Step 4
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 04:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tomsteve

I'm very glad to read ha asking about step 4.

Next we launched out on a course of vigorous action, the first step of which is a personal housecleaning, which many of us had never attempted. Though our decision was a vital and crucial step, it could have little permanent effect unless at once followed by a strenuous effort to face, and to be rid of, the things in ourselves which had been blocking us. Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.

First, we searched out the flaws in our make-up which caused our failure. Being convinced that self, manifested in various ways, was what had defeated us, we considered its common manifestations.

Putting out of our minds the wrongs others had done, we resolutely looked for our own mistakes.

We reviewed or fears thoroughly.

Now about sex. Many of us needed an overhauling there.

We reviewed out own conduct over the years?

We reviewed our own conduct over the years past. Where had we been selfish, dishonest, or inconsiderate? Whom had we hurt? Did we unjustifiably arouse jealousy, suspicion or bitterness? Where were we at fault, what should we have done instead? We got this all down on paper and looked at it.

That's just a bit of what the big book says.
It's wise to go through the steps with a sponsor- someone who has been throug them.
I found this step to be quite an eye opener for me. Learned a whole lot about me.