Thread: Refuge Recovery
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I've read alot of the Dharma Punx Nation stuff, and it was the Buddhist path that I began to follow when I quit 8 years ago. Interestingly, When I read about AVRT here (after I had quit), the parallels were HUGE to me between much Buddhist thought and the idea of using the AVR Technique. I found the practice of sitting with discomfort very similar in nature to the seeing the AV and watching it as an observer- not acting on it-not interacting with it. The AVRT is really the same approach to nonattachment in Buddhism. I see addiction/craving/use of substances intertwined in the five hinderances.
"The Buddha says that all the hindrances arise through unwise consideration (ayoniso manasikara) and that they can be eliminated by wise consideration (yoniso manasikara). Each hindrance, however, has its own specific antidote. Thus wise consideration of the repulsive feature of things is the antidote to sensual desire; wise consideration of loving-kindness counteracts ill will; wise consideration of the elements of effort, exertion and striving opposes sloth and torpor; wise consideration of tranquillity of mind removes restlessness and worry; and wise consideration of the real qualities of things eliminates doubt." (S.v,105-106).
I haven't read Refuge Recovery, but I ordered it today so that I can effectively discuss. Looking forward to ya'lls thoughts on it.