Old 04-14-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Hi, Freckles!

Like FreeOwl, I drank after 5 months of sobriety, thinking I had "it" under control. I was soon proved wrong.

For me, drinking was like an artery bleed: I needed to stop it, and stop it immediately. But there are still other wounds there that need to be tended to that account for some of the reasons that I drink. One seemingly small but important change has been to create routines and habits that keep me in a calm, focused state, even when things are fast and furious around me. Another, which is more challenging, is to deal with my childhood and some other issues from my past. I think grappling with demons (or angels, for that matter) is key to some folks' sobriety.

Sending you support and peaceful thoughts.

YES.

When I began actually working the steps and honestly reflecting on my life with alcohol and writing down the cold, objective reality of it.... when I began opening up to myself with the light of honesty.... when I began talking to my therapist about my feelings and my wounds from childhood - some of the most powerful reasons I retreated to substances to begin with - THAT is when recovery really began.

And it wasn't always easy, but it's been productive, progressive and powerful.

And - over time - got easier and easier.

And more importantly; better and better.