View Single Post
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Lazula, you're not alone. I drank a bottle of wine most nights, and still led a fully functioning working life, but it left me disgusted with myself and worried about my physical and mental health.

The good news is that if you can do this, you won't look back. Waking up every morning without the burden of guilt and self-reproach, not to mention the slight headache and nausea, is the best feeling ever.

Your aim is to get through the evening without relying on alcohol. I set up a relaxation time where I drank tea. I changed my routine slightly, and made sure I didn't come home hungry and tired. Have a protein snack mid-afternoon to prevent this. Use your weekend to cook some big batches of soup/casserole to heat in the evening, and avoid the cooking trigger. You'll be saving a lot of money from beer, so you might want to order take-out occasionally and use the spare time for a board game or a walk with your daughter.

Try to value add to your time rather than just endure, because you are doing an amazingly positive thing. It's just getting away from the cravings and habits in the first few weeks. I gave myself a year as a target, but enjoyed sobriety so much I've continued indefinitely. The thought of going back to regular drinking is horrifying to me now.